Monday, January 5, 2015

Spin the Bin 2015 Challenge

One of the groups I'm a part of on Ravelry is the Completely Twisted and Arbitrary Spinners (CTA Spinners) and last year there was a spin the bin challenge that was a big hit. I didn't find that challenge until about half way through the year and at a time when my spinning mojo had gone on vacation so I didn't join. I could have joined at any point, but then I honestly forgot. Luckily they are starting up the challenge for this year and I'm in!



A quick summary of the rules before I show you my bin- you start your bin with a minimum of 12 fibers weighing 2 ounces or more each; you can add to the bin, but not take away unless you replace it with two items; you have to declare your bin with specifics and then when finished declare with photos (so before and after). One great thing is that if you have a large amount of one fiber (1.5 pounds of Violet's fleece), you can split it into a few entries. The 2015 challenge starts December 24, 2014 and goes until December 31, 2015. You can also decided if you want to be part of the use it or lose it group which means if it isn't spun at the ear of the year you are donating it to the prize pool. I probably should join the use it or lose it, but I'm undecided at the moment.

So my list!

1. CHF- mixed BFL- Firelight- 5.25oz
2. SE- Romney- Lightening Strike- 4oz
3. SE- Corriedale- Acorns- 4oz
4. Julie Spins,- Targhee- Apple Impression- 5.4oz (18.65)
5. TIBH- MCN- Prim- 4oz
6. TIBH- Batt 252- 2.3oz
7. Loop- merino/nylon/angelina- Galaxy- 5oz+
8. HY- BFL/silk- Outburst- 4oz
9. HY- Corriedale- Pressing Reasons- 4oz
10. Violet BFL/merino fleece, 8 ounces
11. Violet BFL/merino cross fleece- 8 ounces
12. Violet BFL/merino cross fleece- 8 ounces

So far the total is 61.95 ounces (over 3.5 pounds!), but I can always add to my bin if I want to. Though to try keeping my spinning options open over the year, I most likely will not add to the list. And also over 3 pounds is more than I normally spin in a year. Let's see how far I get!

At some point I need to take photos of all the fiber laid out and make a collage so you can see the nine braids and batts I've chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment