Monday, June 1, 2015

312 beads later...


Just a little close up of some of the beading on my most recent project. Of course, I wanted the beads to match the tan yarn so it does make it rather hard to see the beads. I promise they are there. There are also about two dozen beads that are now in my couch cushions. 

One thing that really helped with adding all the beads was the Fleegle beader. If you have a project where you need to add tons of beads, I would highly suggest buying one. I tried other methods like using a piece of folded wire and the floss things, but they didn't go all that well.


And the entire shawl. I did a quick blocking of it, but it really needs to be redone. And I need to get a better photo of it.

I'm not going to lie and say that this was an easy project for me, but I'm very glad that I kept at it and finished it. Most of the problems I had were just from getting distracted while counting during the top patten section. Then again, watching shows I had to focus on probably wasn't a good idea either.

Also, there has been a lot of spinning going on, but you'll get to see that next time.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Finished!

It took way longer then it should have to get that all balanced on there.

It took a few hours because I could only wash two skeins at a time and I let them soak a while in some Kookaburra Soak since it was still a little bit dirty. But we had a bright sunny day that allowed for hanging all the skeins on my balcony and getting some funny looks from passing neighbors. And since you have already seen the photos before washing, here is the after!



Which looks very similar to the before picture. I promise it is the after photo though! And because I had to spin over 1.5 pounds for the house cup, there was a fun balancing act that took place on my tiny scale and here is the proof. 25.55 ounces spun in two months excluding a few other small spins that I did over that time as well. About a minute after I took the balancing act photo and the once below, the yarn tower collapsed.


And last each yarn on it's own.



Now onto some more of my spin the bin fiber with a possible side spin or two of some Mega Spin Along fiber. More on that another time.

Monday, March 30, 2015

I spun a sweater

No seriously, I spun enough of a single fiber to knit a sweater. Or a cardigan. Or a ridiculous amount of hats. And obviously I have no idea what I am going to use the yarn for.


The sweater spin hasn't been washed yet, but as I type it is hanging in my shower drying. A grand total of 7 skeins with 1,461 yards before washing. I know that some of that will be lost after it dries, but I'll have to wait for final numbers.

The colorfully dyed yarn on the right has already been washed and is 383 yards of 2 ply and 76 yards of chain plied. 

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Daybreak


Two color knitting, at least stripes with a few slip stitches, wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. There were a few times when I got my two balls of yarn rather tangled, but that was mostly when I wasn't paying attention when turning the piece.

The shawl is Daybreak by Stephen West and the directions were super easy. And the yarn (100% superwash merino) was wonderful to work with as well- all the yarn I've gotten from Nerd Girl Yarns has been.



And now back to spinning up Violet.

Saturday, March 14, 2015

In which I begin to question my sanity...

Had anyone asked me a year ago if I ever thought I could knit a hat in a day I would be laughing.  Seriously full on laughing. Granted a year ago I didn't know how to knit, but a hat in a day? That is just crazy talk...

Barley hat
Oh wait. I just managed to knit a hat in under twelve hours on Sunday. Note to past self, stop laughing. We had a speed race quidditch event with the House Cup and I decided to give it a shot. The hat was very simple, just knit and purl stitches with some decreases thrown in. We had to do the large size and I was a little too into my shows and forgot to measure so I ended up adding about 3/4" onto the height of the hat, but I now have a nice slouchy hat to match my sweater. 

We should probably not talk about how many episodes of Bones  or  Once Upon A Time I watched. It was more then 4 episodes total, but I'm not giving away any more than that. 

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Spinning progress


So I have managed to spin up half of the fleece and half of the Hello Yarn fiber shown in the previous post. I wish the little Ashford bobbin showed more of the colors. 

It is interesting how the bobbins compare. I know that the Hansen bobbins are a lot bigger, but after having not used my Ashford for a while I had forgotten how much larger they really are. There are 2 ounces of colorful singles on the front bobbin and it is rather full while the middle bobbin has about 8 ounces on it and still has quite a bit of empty space. The bobbin still on the mini spinner has about 4 ounces on it.

Since this photo I've started the second bobbin of the Hello Yarn fiber and gotten maybe another half ounce done of the fleece.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Neutrals

It seems that I have been on a kick spinning more neutral colors recently, starting with the fleece I'm working on. After carding all the fleece and spinning up some of it I decided to take a small break and spin up something colorful...



Look how well that worked. I kept picking up other fibers wanting something bright and fun, but somehow this is what jumped on the wheel. It is part of some Falkland that I dyed up at yarn school this past year. Spun with a low twist and lightly fulled, I think that when I get around to spinning the rest of it I'm going to try to match it.


I'm back to working on spinning up the fleece, but the other spin that I'm working on fills my need for color. The ply is for a two ply yarn which you can seem the sample on the right on the card in the picture.